See map

University Name:

See all universities

Non-UK students

EU students

If you are an EU national, resident in the UK for the past 3 years, you will be treated as a Home student. You will be charged the Home rate of tuition fees and can apply for student support in the same way as other UK students. So check the country where you live – England, Wales, Northern Ireland or Scotland.

If you have been resident elsewhere in the EU for the past 3 years, you will be treated as a Home student for fees purposes only. You can apply for a Student Loan to cover your fees but are not entitled to any government help with living costs. UCAS should send you the form automatically to apply for the Student Loan for fees. Otherwise, check out the government website www.direct.gov.uk/studentfinance (then click on EU Students).

back to top

International students (from outside the EU)

International students are not normally entitled to any UK student support and you will be charged the full cost of your tuition.

Help & advice. Many countries have their own system of funding their students, administered by their embassy or high commission. Some universities also have some scholarships and bursary help for specific international students, eg those from specific countries.

If you are still overseas, contact the British Council locally (see its very useful website, www.britishcouncil.org). If there is no office locally, ask the British High Commission or Embassy.

If you are already in the UK, contact the British Council or the UK Council for International Student Affairs (www.ukcisa.org.uk).

Most universities have international student offices, with dedicated staff to help and who will be sympathetic towards your problems, so get in touch with them. The international office will also have a separate section of the university website – make sure you use that or you may find very misleading information about eg tuition fees.

Tuition fees. If you are from outside the EU, you will be charged the full (unsubsidised) cost of your course. There is a very wide range of tuition fees starting at around £7000 pa, rising to over £30,000 pa for some clinical courses. You can check the fees in each university description and compare the minimum charged in the university search tables.

The definitions are complicated but you will be classified as an international student for fees purposed unless you −

  • have been resident (‘settled status’) in the UK for 3 years, or
  • are a UK national who has been resident in the EU for the last 3 years, or
  • are a European Economic Area (EEA) migrant worker, or
  • are a recognised refugee.

These definitions are open to a range of interpretations and you may want to check your status with each university that offers you a place. If in doubt, consult the British Council or UKCISA.

back to top

British living abroad

If you are British, living outside the EEA, the chances of getting government financial assistance are pretty slim unless you or your family have been temporarily working abroad (eg in the armed services). And you could be classified as an international student, which means your fees may be a great deal higher (up to £30,000 pa on some clinical courses). It is worth being crystal clear about your own residential status early on.

The fact that you are British is nowhere near enough. You need also to have been resident (‘settled’) in the British Isles (possibly the EEA) for three years preceding the course − and time spent at a UK boarding school is almost never sufficient. The rules are complicated and can be interpreted differently by the various universities and authorities.

To check out your own status, get advice from the UK Council for International Student Affairs (www.ukcisa.org.uk).

back to top

Featured Universities

Canterbury Christ Church University
Canterbury Christ Church University

Location: Canterbury

Students: 19105

View Profile
Liverpool University

Location: Liverpool

Students: 21875

View Profile
© Student Book 2017